Clarinda Community School District Regular Meeting
Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 4:30 PM
Middle School Commons and Zoom
1. Call to Order
The President will call the meeting to order using the gavel if necessary. The President will request those with communication devices to either turn them off or place them on silent mode. This may be a good time to introduce any special guests.
- A binder labeled Public Copy of Board Materials and containing board meeting materials is available for public review at the table at the side of the room.
- A sign-in sheet is located at the table at the side of the room. All guests are asked to sign it to show attendance. Zoom guest will asked to identify themselves.
- Meeting agendas are available for the public at the table at the side of the room.
- Meeting agendas, materials, and minutes are also available on the district web page.
- Pledge of Allegiance
The President will ask the members and audience to face the flag for the Pledge of Allegiance.
- Roll Call
The President will ask for roll call.
- Audience to Visitors
The President will ask the audience if they have any comments on the items on the agenda. This gives the public the opportunity to comment on agenda items prior to Board decisions/actions. Each community member wanting to comment to the board will be granted two minutes to speak. Please be prepared to give your name and address. The Board will listen to public comment and in accordance with district policy 213 and direct questions to the superintendent or the appropriate staff.
- Approval of Agenda
If members have items to be added to the agenda, now is the time. If you have items that you want removed from the agenda, or removed from the Consent Agenda for discussion, make the request at this time. The President will call for a motion and second to approve the agenda.
- Consider Consent Agenda Items
The President will ask for a motion to accept the Consent Agenda as presented or amended. With a motion and a second, the President will call for the vote.
- Approve Minutes of the October 14, 2020 Regular Meeting
- Approve Minutes of the October 19, 2020 Work Session
- Approve Bills
- Approve Special Education Contracts
The school board has contracts available to approve for Iowa special education students who are served by the Clarinda Academy and the district. The resident district of any Iowa student who receives special education services is responsible for the education costs regardless as to where they student is served. The board will be approving contracts with districts who have students at the Academy or attending Clarinda High School. Each time an Iowa special education student enrolls at the Academy or in the district, a new contract with the resident district needs to be approved by the board. Please see the attached roster that is recommended for approval as a uniform item under the consent agenda.
- Approve Recommendations to Hire for 2020-2021 School Year
Administration is requesting to hire for the 2020-2021 school year. Please accept the following recommendations for hire to meet district staffing needs:
Logan Wood as High School Instructor for 0.1 FTE Andy Johnson as Middle School Boys Basketball Coach
Sage Lloyd as High School Boys Assistant Track Coach pending completion of hiring process
- Approve Resignations for 2020-2021 School Year
Administration is requesting to accept the following resignations for the 2020-2021 school year:
Karlee Barlow, Associate
Jane Mayer, High School Wrestling Cheer Coach
- Approve Winter Volunteer Coaches
Mr. Porter has identified winter volunteer coaches and recommends approval.
- Recognition and Reports
The President will call for recognition and reports as identified on the agenda.
- High School Student Council Report The Student Council will give its report.
- PK-6 Principal Report
Ms. Opperman will give her report.
Mrs. Bergman will give her report.
- New Business
- Consider Approving Resurfacing Tennis Court Project ACTION
The city tennis courts are in need of being resurfaced. City officials and school officials have met to discuss the project and evaluate the bids and the total costs. The city would pay half the cost and the school district would pay the other half. The city has received a grant from the Clarinda Foundation bringing the remaining cost to $38,000.00.
Approve the school district's cost to resurface the tennis courts, matching the city’s financial contribution and not exceeding $19,000.00.
- Consider Approving Donation from the Together Class ACTION
The First United Methodist Church Together Sunday School Class would like to donate
$100 to the school nurse fund.
Approve the donation of $100 to the school nurse fund from the First United Methodist Church Together Sunday School Class.
- Consider Adopting Resolution to Consider Continued Participation in the Instructional Support Program
The Instructional Support Levy is set to expire on June 30, 2021 and it is being requested to renew this for another five years to financially support the district. A notice will be placed in the newspaper and a public hearing will be set for November 11, 2020 at the regular board meeting.
Approve considering adopting the resolution to consider the continued participation in the Instructional Support Program.
- Consider Approving Hiring a Floating Substitute for the Remainder of the 2020- 2021 School Year
Individual will serve in PK-12 classrooms or any other needs within the daily operations of the district. Contract days will be limited to student instructional days.
Approve hiring a floating substitute for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Consider Approving TLC Operational Sharing for 2021-2022 School Year with South Page
Clarinda Community School District and South Page Community School District will share state TLC funds, create/maintain roles supported by student data and district needs, and engage in common, aligned professional learning.
Approve TLC operational sharing with 2021-2022 school year with South Page
- Consider Approving Coronavirus Relief Fund Earn and Learn Grant Opportunity Through Iowa Force Development
This grant will help support to develop new programs providing training opportunities for short-term credentials in high demand occupations. Applications can apply for up to
Approve the Coronavirus Relief Fund Earn and Learn Grant Opportunity
- Consider Approving Filling the Title I Reading Position ACTION
The position was left unfilled when the current teacher was moved to fill an elementary classroom position.
Approve filling the Title I Reading Position for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Meeting Announcements:
Please note the schedule of meetings.
- Immediately following the meeting, Mr. Hill will give building tours to the Board.
- Our next regular meeting is on Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 4:00 p.m. in the Boardroom at McKinley and via Zoom.
- Iowa Association of Schools Boards 75th Annual Convention, November 17-19, 2020 This year the convention will be held online.
The President will call for a motion and a second to adjourn the meeting.